Living in the USA for one year as an au pair can provide you with skills and experiences that will set you up for life… (knowing how to make friendship bracelets will come in handy right?)
1. You’ll get to watch kid’s movies all the time and you can introduce your host children to ALL your favourite childhood movies too!
2. You’ll develop SO many new skills… by the end of your year as an au pair you’ll be more organised, more independent, more creative, more patient and will be a whizz in the kitchen.
3. You can live in your favourite jumper and sweatpants all day every day… no smart office wear required here!
4. You’ll find Holidays completely magical again as you get to experience the excitement of them through the eyes of your host children.
5. You’ll be able to multi-task like a boss! Who else can cook a meal, help with homework and tidy your host kid’s toys away at the same time?
6. Dressing up will be a key aspect of your role and you’ll probably have your own dressing up box by the end of the year!
7. You get to be a role model! Whether you realise it or not, your host children will admire you and will look up to you. You’ll be helping them grow just by being there to help them, care for them and by investing your time in them.
8. You’ll become an expert at braiding hair! Whether it’s for your host kids or for your au pair friends, by the end of your year, you’ll be able to do the fishtail, the milkmaid and a French braid in your sleep.
9. You’ll become a local! By living with your host family for 12 months you’ll have the opportunity to get to know your surroundings in a way a tourist couldn’t, you’ll know all the hidden gems of places to go and will be able to tell others where the best parks, restaurants, museums and a whole lot more, are.
10. Baking cookies and arts & crafts will be essential parts of your role! Who doesn’t want to spend every day covered in glitter?
11. Time for another adventure? You’ll get to travel to and explore so many places either by yourself, with your host family or with your friends and once you’ve finished your year you’ll be able to travel all over the world visiting your new besties!
12. You’ll get to spend most of your day outside! There’ll be no 8 hours stuck behind a desk for you… as an au pair you’ll get to make the most of the great outdoors with trips to the park, the zoo, the beach and ALL the playdates you can fit in!
13. You’ll become culturally aware… you’ll not only be immersed in the US culture but you’ll also get to learn about the cultures of au pairs from all over the world!
14. You’ll quickly learn the rules to all American sports and will be the best cheerleader at your host kid’s soccer games!
15. You’ll find a new home and become part of a new family. Your time as an au pair may only be for one year but the relationships you’ll make during that year will last a lifetime.