Jessika | Your Health First

written by Au Pair in America October 29, 2018

You know when life throws you a curve ball and you end up somewhere you never thought you would be? No one knows that feeling more than APiA blogger Jessika right now. There she was enjoying the end of her first year as an au pair, about to start her 2nd year and then out of nowhere, she ends up somewhere she never dreamed she would… in hospital!  In this blog Jessika is telling us all about the scary start she had to her extension year! 

Jessika at Grand Central

JUST YOUR AVERAGE THURSDAY

Hi guys, How are you?

In this blog I will tell you a little bit about what I experienced at the end of last month.

I had a pretty normal Wednesday looking after my host kids but when I woke up on Thursday morning I noticed something different with my ankle. It was really red and was aching lots.

That day I continued with my daily routine, I didn’t think much of it.  I definitely didn’t want to go to the hospital just because of a sore ankle. As the hours passed, I realized that the part of my ankle was growing red. I was feverish and was having great difficulty walking. Immediately I sent a message to my host mother saying I was not feeling well and that I had a fever. She advised me to look for a doctor, she contacted my Coordinator, and looked for a clinic closer to home.

VISITING THE ER

When you arrive at the Urgent Care clinic, the first thing they will ask you is your Health insurance for a first appointment. I picked the standard health insurance package at the start of my year. I was seen quickly by the nurse who read my blood pressure and took my temperature. She asked some questions about allergies, medicines that I took and so on. I was then seen by a doctor who realized that it was something more serious than a simple redness in the ankle. So she sent me to the emergency room nearby.

IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING?

To summarize some of the story, I was hospitalized for 3 days. What happened is what I caught an infection in the skin, which is called Cellulitis. This infection if it’s not treated and in serious cases can cause death or amputation of the affected limb. (I googled a little about it while I was at the hospital). It occurs when bacteria enters through a crack or break in your skin. Animal bites can cause cellulitis and so can infected water like pools, rive or beaches.  So, it could happen to anyone.

Jessika ET

LOOK AFTER YOURSELF!

Many au pairs are afraid to see a doctor in the USA because Hospitalization costs can be very expensive.  The one thing I can tell you is, if I had not gone to the hospital I probably would not be here. So, in this blog I ask each one of you who is feeling unwell to look for a doctor and seek some advice. Do not let your dream of living in the USA come to an end because of your negligence.

THANK YOU ❤️

My host family and my Community Counsellor were so supportive through-out all of this and really helped me to stay calm in what was a scary situation. I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank all the hospital staff for all that they have done for me. I was treated very well. I met some amazing people who love what they do. Thank you for saving my life!

Kisses and until next time 😘 

 

We’re SO glad that Jessika has recovered from this scary experience. She’ll be back soon with another update on the start of her second year as an Au Pair in America

You may also like